Castle Bromwich: 0121 7497000
Coleshill: 01675 430330
Mask-ne. What is it?
In these days of COVID 19 there is a new skin problem developing….
Mask-Ne – (Mask Acne) Officially known as Acne Mechanica.
It is a new generation of skin problem lurking beneath every mask and face covering. Prevention is easier than cure, understanding the potential problem will allow you to avoid it. We’re are on hand for help.
Let’s get this straight. This is not acne in the true sense, it’s a ‘man-made’ skin condition.
It usually affects the face, the area beneath your mask or face covering. When you wear a mask or face covering you create a congesting environment beneath it and the air under your mask is humid and warm, and the mask itself may cause friction.
Let us look at what these issues can cause.
- The air under your mask is humid and warm – the ideal breeding ground for bacteria, fungus & virus. Breathing in and out in this environment means that nasal mucus, oil, bacteria, fungus, and virus are being deposited directly onto your skin. This may lead to the development of Cutaneous bacterium (Cutibacterium acne). You may also be more susceptible to cold sores if you’re prone to them.
- It’s hot under a mask – this may lead to perspiration. Sweat contains bacteria and oil. Sweat & bacteria mixed with make-up will lead to blocked pores and blackheads. With all of this going on, it’s likely that the protective barrier that keeps the goodness in and the badness out, will become damaged, leading to dryness, dehydration, and sensitivity.
- The mask itself may cause friction. This may make your skin red and inflamed, which may also cause further damage to your skin barrier.
How to help yourself throughout the day.
- Remove your mask (safely) as often as possible.
- Change your mask regularly for a fresh one, if you’re wearing it for prolonged periods.
- Avoid wearing heavy make-up when wearing a mask.
- Avoid long wear and ultra-wear foundation when wearing a mask.
- Avoid touching your face after applying drying hand sanitisers. It will transfer and dry your face.
Our range of Katherine Daniels products and treatments can help prevent and treat this condition. This month in our Indulgent October packages we have our Autumnal Revive. This will provide you with a full skin analysis and consultation with your therapist, a deep cleaning skin treatment, home care solutions, and the best KD cleanser for you to take home.
What can you do right now?
Keep your skin clean, strong, and hydrated. This will ensure your skin is able to work to its best potential and keep it as healthy as possible. Prevention is always better than cure. Please be careful, if you see spots appearing don’t rush out and buy harsh, stripping products for oily skin. It will make the problem worse. Pop in and see us for some advice or book for a Katherine Daniels Autumnal Revive.
Call the salons CB 01217497000 or Coleshill 01675430330 or book online.